Please note that tours are suspended until further notice.
- With a maximum group size of 19, you’re sure of personal attention.
- Discover a hidden world that few get the chance to see.
- Don’t worry about queuing as your ticket provides you with priority access to the underground site.
- Learn about the catacombs’ fascinating history from your expert, English-speaking guide.
- You’ll have access to parts of the catacombs not normally open to the general public.
- Skip-the-line entrance to the Catacombs
- Expert, English-speaking tour guide
- Hotel pick-up/drop-off
Some say that the dead live among us. Well, in Paris, they ‘live’ below us. Beneath the streets of the city, there are miles of tunnels that provide home to the bones of more than 6 million former aboveground citizens, now denizens of the world below. Your English-speaking guide will help you bone up on the macabre history of this underground maze of ossuaries, which made use of former mining tunnels in the 18th century to help clear the city’s overflowing cemeteries in the 18th century.
Included in your tour is the opportunity to see parts of the catacombs that are normally hidden from view, such as the Port Mahon corridor, where, for five years, a worker called François Décure used any free time he had to create a series of small sculptures. They’re an eerie presence in this underground world, especially when you consider that their creator was killed after being crushed by a cave-in while trying to build access to his sculptures from the street above.
Before you Go
Please note: Consult calendar for availability and on making the booking, please choose the date and time on which you would like to take the Skip-the-Line Catacombs Tour.
The Catacombs are quite small and dark in places. This tour may not be appropriate for individuals with claustrophobia
The temperature in the Catacombs is a cool 14ºC year-round; please dress appropriately, with a sweater in summer months
To access the Catacombs, you will need to walk down 130 steps and then climb 80 fairly steep steps to exit
We regret that we are unable to accommodate guests with wheelchairs or any impairments requiring special assistance. We are also unable to accommodate strollers or baby carriages on our group tours
All sales are final: tickets cannot be exchanged or money refunded by City Sightseeing.